Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Recipe: Risotto

If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen quite a few pictures of this dish! I LOVE risotto. Probably a bit too much. There seems to be something in this one I make that has an addictive quality. I find myself popping into the kitchen later on in the evening and scooping spoonfuls of the leftovers out! Even when I am stuffed!

Anyway, I thought I would share the recipe with you. It is really, really tasty and it is my absolute favorite dish. The hubby likes it, but not with the same enthusiasm that I have, he is more of a steak man to be honest.

150g chorizo (I just buy either M&S cooking chorizo or a chorizo ring from Tesco)
1-2 chicken breasts, depending on how greedy you are! I've started to just use one and I think it's actually better
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 red onion (I have used a white one in the past when I found myself with no red onions and the recipe still worked, but I do think red is better)
1 litre chicken stock (you could also use veg if you prefer)
1 teaspoon of dried parsley
1.2 teaspoon paprika
Approx 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese (depending on taste - you could add more if you prefer, or take some away!)
1-2 tablespoons of butter
Salt and black pepper
350g arborio risotto rice
Olive oil

Method:

Slice the chicken and the chorizo. Chop the red pepper into chunks and do the same with the red onion and garlic, you don't want the onion too small.
Add a good lug of olive oil to a wide pan and allow to heat. Add the pepper, garlic and onion and allow to soften. Keep stirring or the garlic will catch and burn. Once nice and soft, add the chorizo for about one minute to let the lovely oils come out of it and then add the chicken. Stir for a few minutes so that the chicken looks a nice pale colour all over but not cooked through. Now add the rice and stir around so all the rice is coated with the oil from the chorizo. Now start adding the stock - I add about 3/4 to begin with and then leave it to cook for about 10 minutes before adding the remaining stock. At this point I also add the paprika. It will probably take between 25-35 minutes for the rice to cook, but you must keep checking it and ensure that for the first 10 minutes or so the rice is submerged in the stock to ensure it cooks.
After about 25 minutes, taste and check the rice is cooked but still with a slight firmness. Dot the butter around the rice and stir in so it melts. Now add some salt to taste and grind some black pepper into the rice. Stir around and cook for 5 more minutes. Now add the Parmesan and parsley. Tip - don't add the Parmesan until you are nearly ready to serve as it can dry the dish out and become a bit sticky if you cook it for too long with the cheese in it. Check the flavouring and add more salt and pepper or parsley if you wish.

Yummy!!

Let me know if you try it.



mummystartingout x

No comments:

Post a Comment