Monday, March 17, 2014

Finding a balance

I used to be an extremely organised person. Ask my boss; she used to call me the 'Go get girl' as she knew she could come to me with anything and I could get it done or I would have the answer. I dread to think what she calls me now, but I can guarantee it won't be as positive! (The boss and I have had some run ins lately, but that's another story)

Anyway, from being little I was so organised; always having different coloured pens for different things and all my folders at school were organised with subject dividers etc. That followed me into teaching and I have folders for every topic that I teach and my desk is always clear. I suppose that, I'm on the far end of the 'normal' scale when it comes to being tidy and organised! However,  since moving to a bigger house, my organisational skills have gone downhill. It could also be down to the fact that I now have a child and a full time job, so I have less time to tidy and get organised, but I see other working mums who are just as organised, so why can't I be?!

I never seem to have enough time to do a job properly. I feel like I am constantly sorting out washing or drying dishes etc and I feel guilty about Charlie. I don't want him to remember his childhood with me being so busy and never having any time for him. I saw this poem on face book the other day, and it really hit me.

Slow down mummy, there is no need to rush,
slow down mummy, what is all the fuss?
Slow down mummy, make yourself a cup of tea.
Slow down mummy, come and spend some time with me.

Slow down mummy, let’s put our boots on and go out for a walk,
let’s kick at piles of leaves, and smile and laugh and talk.
Slow down mummy, you look ever so tired,
come sit and snuggle under the duvet and rest with me a while.

Slow down mummy, those dirty dishes can wait,
slow down mummy, lets have some fun, lets bake a cake!
Slow down mummy I know you work a lot,
but sometimes mummy, its nice when you just stop.

Sit with us a minute,
& listen to our day,
spend a cherished moment,
because our childhood is not here to stay!

R. Knight 

That said, I have to do the laundry and the hoovering and the dishes etc, otherwise we will end up living in squalor, but I need to find the right balance between the two. 

Therefore, I have come up with a schedule of daily, weekly and monthly jobs. Yes, I went mad with the monthly job, but I thought why not. If I'm going to do something, then I may as well do it properly.

So here is my schedule:

Daily jobs
AM

Make beds
Open curtains
Tidy sofa

PM
Wipe down kitchen counters and oven after cooking
Wipe down dining table
Put bleach down the loo
Tidy up Charlie's toys (after he is in bed!)

Daily tasks
Monday - washing/laundry
Tuesday - hoover
Wednesday - washing/laundry
Thursday - Clean bathroom
Friday - washing/laundry
Saturday - dust and hoover.

Monthly tasks
Week 1 - Hoover stairs and skirting boards
Week 2 - Deep clean the kitchen (including cupboards and doors and fridge)
Week 3 - Clean oven
Week 4 - De-clutter (everywhere!)

I am really hoping this schedule will help me and free up some time. Time that I can then spend with Charlie or even sit down and have a cuppa every now and again!

Have you got any ideas to share on how you go about organising your house? I would love to hear them! 





No comments:

Post a Comment